MacDougall & Co
Chartered Tax Advisers


Starting a New Business?

Sole Trader, Partnership, Limited Company, Limited Liability Partnership ... what's best for you? Talk to us on 01727 86 86 01. We can help you to get things right, right from the start.

There are a number of tax and accounting decisions that have to be made. We can help you with the information you need to make them, with the minimum of fuss.

There are a number of things that must be done, time limits that must be met. We can guide you through the details to prevent you getting it wrong.

Here's a list of just some of the things that people need to consider when starting in business:

    How can I minimise my tax liability?
    When should I start the business?
    When should I have my year end? Can I choose?
    Can I claim job seeker's allowance and be self employed at the same time?
    Should I pay National Insurance, and if so, when and how?
    When should I tell the Inland Revenue about my business?
    What about VAT?
    What can I claim tax relief on?
    What is overlap profit?
    What records should I keep?
    When do I pay tax?
    What about assets (both large items, like vehicles, and smaller things like tools) that I owned before I started the business?
    Can I get tax relief on payments to my children or husband/wife?
    Can I get me, my husband/wife, and/or my children a free pension? Click here for more detail.
    How much will my accountant charge me? What, exactly, do I get for my money?
    How can I keep my accountant's fees to a minimum?
    Do I need an accountant? (The answer to this question is very frequently, "No, you don't".)
    How much can I save in tax and NIC by forming a limited company? And is it worth doing?

All these points, and more, can be covered in your free first consultation. This gives you the opportunity to decide whether you would like MacDougall & Co to act on your behalf without you incurring any costs.

These points can also be dealt with on the telephone, without a meeting, if you prefer.

Whether you would like a (free) appointment, or you would like to discuss your questions on the phone (free), please contact us.

DON'T FORGET to notify commencement of self-employment - go to There is a penalty if you fail to notify the commencement of self-employment. You can phone the helpline from 8.00am to 8.00pm, 7 days a week. You need to have your National Insurance number with you when you phone. The time limit for notifying has changed to the 5 October following the end of the tax year in which self employment started. Prior to 6 April 2009 it was just 3 months plus the month of commencement.

Got a tiny business? Self-employed? Can't be bothered with bookkeeping. Try this. No books, no software, and no computers. Is this for you?

We wish you all the best in your new business.

tax faculty logo
Certified CPA loco

Quickbooks logo

Free Agent logo CIOT logo

Contact Us: Telephone 074 03 04 05 06 or 01727 86 86 01    Email or    Skype Us   Privacy Notice  Disclaimer

© Ltd 1999 to date
Website designed by InTouch WebDesign